This post contains links to products from our advertisersWe may be compensated when you click on these links. Our recommendations and advice are our own, and have not been reviewed by any listed issuer. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Read our editorial standards.
Disclaimer: Amex is an advertiser from within.
Amex made big changes to the Platinum Card from American Express last year, increasing the annual fee to $695 (see pricing) and Added a large number of new perks. These new benefits include monthly statement credits that completely offset the cost of a Walmart+ membership.
Now Walmart+ is more valuable. Previously, Walmart+ members could get a 5-cent discount per gallon when they used the Walmart app to fill up Walmart, Murphy USA, Murphy Express, and Sam’s Club gas stations. This discount has now been increased to up to 10 cents per gallon, and even better, it now applies to all Exxon and Mobil gas stations as well.
Adding Exxon and Mobil gas stations to this feature makes Walmart+ membership even more beneficial — and expands the number of gas stations eligible for the discount to more than 14,000 nationwide (a six-fold increase).
Here’s how to get your gas discount if you’re a Walmart+ member.
Walmart members save 10 cents + per gallon at Exxon and Mobil
See Pay Over Time APR
Recommended credit score
good to excellent
See Pay Over Time APR
Recommended credit score
good to excellent
- Long list of travel benefits, including airport lounge access and complimentary elite status with Hilton and Marriott (registration required)
- Credits on annual statement with Saks and Uber
- Reward categories leave something to be desired
- One of the highest annual fees among premium travel cards
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases with your new card in the first 6 months of card membership. Apply and choose your favorite metal card design: Classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 hotel credit: Redeem $200 in statement credits each year on Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection reservations, requiring a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum® Card.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Redeem up to $20 per month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® card on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu and Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Registration is required.
- $159 Walmart + Credit: Cover the $12.95 Walmart + monthly membership cost with statement credit after you pay for Walmart + each month with your Platinum Card. The cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded the Centurion® network to include more than 40 Centurion lounges and studio locations worldwide. There are even more places where your Platinum® Card can get free admission and exclusive privileges.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Receive up to $200 in statement balances per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one eligible airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on trips or food orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to primary card members only.
- Equinox Credits of $300: Redeem up to $25 per month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox Club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Registration is required.
- $179 Claire Credit: Use your card and redeem up to $179 annually on your Claire membership.
- $695 for annual fees.
- Terms apply.
Some cardholders have dismissed the addition of a free Walmart+ membership as being too convenient and not worth much on average. Platinum Card user. Walmart+ offers some useful features beyond gas discounts, including free shipping with no minimum purchase requirements, free delivery (minimum $35) to purchase, and early access to
Sales and Spotify Premium membership is free for six months.
Now, Walmart+ members get discounts at the following gas stations when using the Walmart app:
- Exxon and Mobil stations share 10 cents per gallon
- Walmart, Murphy’s, and Sam’s Club stations: 5 to 10 cents per gallon (depending on state regulations)
expansion in Walmart + gas discount It makes taking advantage of the free membership a no-brainer for those who fill jobs at Exxon and Mobil stations, sometimes even. I registered for membership back in October when the feature launched but have never used the gas discount because I don’t have a Walmart, Murphy USA, or Sam’s Club gas station near me.
But my local gas station is Mobil, so I downloaded the Walmart app to my phone to try out the feature.
How to Get Exxon and Mobile Gas Discounts with a Walmart+ Membership
If you have Platinum Card And you haven’t yet signed up for a Walmart+ membership, read Insider’s Guide to Using the Amex Platinum Walmart + Feature To help setup. Also, be sure to add the credit card you want to use to pay for gas to your account.
Once you sign up, download the Walmart app to your phone, otherwise you won’t be able to get the discount. From this point on, there are two ways to activate the discount at your Exxon or Mobil station.
If location access is enabled on your phone’s Walmart app and you open your app at a sharing station, you’ll get a pop-up asking if you’re ready to refuel at that location. But if you’d rather not turn on location services, there’s another option. Once at the pump, under the Services menu, select the Member Rates on Fuel option.
A QR code scanner will open. Scan the QR code on the pump with the app to start the process instead.
You will then be asked to enter the fuel pump number (#9, in this case) and confirm the credit card you want to use.
After a few seconds, the pump should activate and you should be able to dispense fuel as normal. The reduced price should appear on the fuel grade selector automatically.
When you’re done filling your tank, you’ll see the 10 cents per gallon discount reflected on your receipt (either printed or in the app).
Getting $1.49 off a gas tank doesn’t seem like a huge deal, but if you add it up in the long run, this feature can save the average customer a good chunk of change. I fill my closet about four times a month; $1.49 per tank which equates to $6 per month in savings, or $72 per year.
Of course, you’ll only make real savings if you’ve filled up at a sharing gas station anyway; In many locations, Exxon or Mobil may not be your cheapest option and you can save more per gallon, even without a Walmart discount, by going to another station. For example, I have a Costco membership and always make sure to fill this place up when I’m in the area—and the savings are well over 10 cents per gallon.
This new discount isn’t enough reason to consider opening the Platinum Card from American Express — but if you’re already a card holder, here’s a nice little benefit that can help offset The card’s large annual fee. And given the price of gas at the moment, the savings at the pump are even sweeter.